Friday 26 March 2010

Charlotte's Xmas Diary: set-up day


As I am walking to the shelter this morning it is absolutely freezing and I share a thought to the half a million people in Britain who would have been sleeping on the streets or in doorways last night. I get to the shelter early and meet a girl called Suki, we immediately get on and spend most of the morning working together, and it is so nice that everyone is so friendly.

Firstly we moved all the donated food into the kitchen, there is so much that I feel overwhelmed at how generous people are. We then have to check every tin and packet to make sure they are in date. Thus turned into a bit of a game and we were excited when we found the odd thing out of date, some even went back to 2001...oh dear! Then we help to lay out the chairs and tables in the main room where the guests will have entertainment, sandwiches and drinks. Next Suki and I and two more of my new friends are asked to help sort donated clothing into men’s and women’s and take the toiletries to the showers. Everybody is in such a nice happy mood; one man wouldn’t even stop singing!! All of us then help to clean the mattresses ready for the room where the guests will be sleeping and the shelter is starting to look nearly ready now.

I am sad to learn I will not be working with Suki or my other new friends on my other shifts but I am still very excited because everybody is so nice. The shelter opens its doors tomorrow and my next shift is Christmas Eve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment