Friday 26 March 2010

Charlotte's Xmas Diary: reflections

Overall the shelter was nothing how I had expected. The guests were so friendly and so grateful for our help and all the volunteers were amazing. I met some great friends who I am still in contact with now and will hopefully see again next Christmas at the shelter. The shelter hit me quite emotionally and now every time I am moaning that its cold or I am hungry I think about the people on the streets and realise I am very lucky. People are homeless for many different reasons and it is not fair to judge people when you do not know their circumstances.

I was also really happy to see that some of the guests were not homeless but came to the shelter for company and I am glad that we made their Christmas fun and that they were not alone. This Christmas although very very hard work has been my best Christmas yet and has changed my Christmas forever because now I am definitely going to volunteer every year if possible. If anybody said to me that they were thinking of volunteering I would definitely tell them to go for it, it is such a rewarding experience and you will get to meet so many nice people. People volunteer for different reasons some for religion, some for university and some just because they like to help but everyone has the same goal and that is to make the shelter a success. The trustees of the shelter are so inspirational and put so much effort into the shelter.

No comments:

Post a Comment